Are we really affected by the phases of the moon? Does the moon exert some magical pull on our watery bodies or our primitive minds? Maybe. What I do know for sure is that to flourish, we need to feel connected to the world around us. The practice of patterning our lives, even in small, symbolic ways, on the patterns of nature can be very affirming. For me, the cycle of the moon is a beautiful reflection of the cycles of increase and decrease in my own life.
It’s moon circle time again! Here on the Artful Life we meet at each New and Full Moon to share inspiration and intentions, and to align our energies with the lunar cycles. You can read more about it here.
Since it’s been a while since the Artful Life Moon Circle met, I’m sharing some New Moon wisdom gathered from previous Moon Circle posts. I hope it helps you to enjoy this month’s powerful New Moon – Solar Eclipse!
I love New Moon! To me it’s like a mini-New Year’s every month. It’s a chance to begin a-new, reset the cycle, plant seeds, plant goals, be fresh. One night it’s all in darkness; the next night there’s this delicate sliver of silver, just a thread in the twilight, setting with the setting sun. It always takes my breath away. I get this little surge of hope, an affirmation that it is always possible to begin again, that we all, always, have a chance at a clean slate. I love that magic! It’s a time for cleansing, renewal, setting intentions, and beginning anything to do with abundance, the emotions, etc.. Do you want something to increase? Then take steps towards it, symbolic and practical, on the new moon. It’s magical thinking, it’s metaphor, it’s folk tradition, it’s really just another way to feel a sense of belonging in the world, by seeing your intention mirrored out there. And we so need that sense of belonging. So give it a try.
- Choose an area of your life where you want to see increase. do you want your veggie garden to grow? do you need more clients, more income, more money? are you yearning to get pregnant or adopt? do you need more time for yourself, more love, more peace of mind, more sleep?
- Write down your intention; be clear, specific, and simple. “My intention is to grow my client list by 5 clients this month” “My intention is to grow enormous dahlias”
- Share your intention with at least one other person (share it here in the comments, we would love to see it!)
- Take some time on New Moon Day (today!) to seed your intention. You can be formal or casual, whatever feels most natural to you. You can create a little ritual, light a candle, do whatever you do to connect with Spirit – the most important thing is to open your heart, and hold your intention.
- Listen to your intuition. does your ritual feel awkward? what is your heart really telling you? is this the right intention for you now? be willing to let go, change your focus, revise your desires, and listen to your heart-wisdom.
- Ask for peace.
- As the month progresses, watch the moon, and connect your heart with the power of the waxing light.
What do you need to bring out into the light?
What unhealthy habit is ready to leave your life?
Can you set your New Moon Intention around one of these questions? Join the Moon Circle by posting your intention in the comments.
More Artful Living:
Retreat! Give yourself the gift of time and self-care this Fall. Join me for my Artful Island Retreat this September 2013 19-23 at Shanti House on gorgeous Denman Island. For five days, we’ll make art, dance, play, immerse ourselves in nature, eat well, meditate, do yoga, laugh, reflect, and rest deeply. This delicious retreat is open to six women, and I have four spots left. Go here to learn more and register.
Join me and a wonderful circle of artful women for the Artful Life eCourse, Fall 2013 Edition, nine week immersion in artful living, exploring my Nine Keys to an Artful Life.
Join the mailing list! Get love notes from me with inspiring subscribers-only articles, tips for artful living, and news and special offers. You’ll always be the first to know about what I’m planning next.
Come join the Artful Life Facebook Page! I post beautiful images and inspirations for artful living daily – it’s a smart and positive and pretty place to hang out on Facebook.